Craig Melvin is an American TV news anchor, reporter, and journalist. He is currently working as an NBC News anchor and correspondent as well as a host on MSNBC. He anchors the show MSNBC Live on weekdays and co-hosts the Saturday edition of the program ‘Today.’
Craig was honored as the ‘Best Anchor’ by The South Carolina Broadcaster’s Association. His fine reportage earned him an Emmy Award in 2006.
Early Life and Education
Craig was born on May 20, 1979 in the city of Columbia in South Carolina. His parents are Lawrence and Betty Melvin. He has a younger sibling named Ryan Melvin and an older brother named Rev. Lawrence Meadows.
Melvin went to Wofford College. He received a Bachelors in Arts degree in Government.
- Melvin began his television broadcasting career in 2001 after getting hired as a reporter and anchor by WIS. He was with WIS for 7 years.
- In 2008, Craig moved to WRC-TV and served as the 6 and 11 PM Weekend news anchor for 3 years.
- Melvin was offered the job of an anchor at NBC News in 2011. His additional job responsibility included working as an MSNBC anchor. A year later, Melvin also became a correspondent for NBC News.
- Craig was the main anchor for the program MSNBC Live from 2011 to 2014. He then switched to being a contributing host for the show.
- Melvin was a fill-in host for Weekend Today program on NBC from 2013 to 2015. He was promoted as a permanent co-host of the show in 2016.
- Most of the topics discussed by Melvin on his shows are public and human interest stories. He has reported and provided coverage on many such issues like the trial of killer George Zimmerman; the horrific December 2012 shooting that occurred at Sandy Hook Elementary School; the extreme tornado that tore apart Moore, Oklahoma; the explosion at West Fertilizer Company factory in 2013; and the crash of flight Asiana Airlines 214 in July 2013 which caused 3 fatalities and injured many.
- Melvin was the anchor of MSNBC’s coverage of the 2012 National Conventions of the Democratic and Republican parties. He also hosted the Election Night coverage done by NBC News for its election reporting partner TVOne.
- Craig and Lindsay Czarniak, a former WRC-TV sports reporter, got married in October 2011. Lindsay currently works at ESPN as a sports anchor.
- Melvin and Lindsay met for the first time at a charity event that she was hosting.
- The couple’s son was born in 2014. They have no other children as yet. They reside in Connecticut.
- During the course of his career in media, Melvin was never fired from the job.
- In college, Craig belonged to the Kappa Sigma fraternity.
- Melvin is liked and known for his great voice as an anchor.
Craig Melvin – Net Worth and Salary
Craig is paid about $500,000 per year. The net worth of Melvin and his wife together is around $5 million.