Mika Emilie Leonia Brzezinski is an American journalist, TV host, and author, currently working as a co-host along with Joe Scarborough on the talk show ‘Morning Joe’ telecast on weekdays on MSNBC.
Mika was born on May 2 1967, in New York City, to former National Security Advisor to President Jimmy Carter and former policy expert, to Zbigniew Brzezinski, Emilie Anna Benešová, a sculptor. Her mother is the grandniece Edvard Beneš, the former president of Czechoslovakia. Mark Brzezinski is her brother; he is an American diplomat and the US Ambassador to Sweden from 2011.
Mika graduated from The Madeira School and later enrolled as a junior at Georgetown University before transferring to Williams College located in Williamstown, Massachusetts. She graduated with a major in English in 1989.
The career of Brzezinski is discussed below:
- Mika began her career as a journalist in 1990 when she was hired as an assistant on the show ‘World News This Morning,’ telecast on ABC.
- In 1991, she moved to Hartford, Connecticut and joined as a features and assignment editor at WTIC-TV/WTIC-DT, a Fox affiliate owned by Tribune. She was later promoted as a general assignments reporter.
- A year later, she got a contract with WFSB-TV/WFSB-DT, a CBS affiliate in Hartford. In 1995, she became the weekday morning anchor at the station.
- In 1997, Mika began working for CBS network news as an anchor for the news program ‘Up to the Minute’ and as a correspondent.
- In 2000, she left CBS News and began working as a co-anchor on HomePage, a weekday afternoon show on MSNBC.
- In 2001, the 1.65 meter tall anchor came back as a correspondent to CBS News. She immediately became famous after she was the ‘Ground Zero’ reporter after the 9/11 attacks. Mika was providing live coverage when the South Tower went down. Mika continued serving as a segment anchor, correspondent, contributor for 60 Minutes and CBS Sunday Morning, and a substitute anchor. She was fired from CBS.
- In 2007, she joined MSNBC and did evening news updates for ‘Up To The Minute’ as well as primetime newsbreaks; filled in on “MSNBC Live limited”; occasionally anchored ‘Weekend Today’; and occasionally reported for NBC Nightly News. She then began working as the co-host of the show Morning Joe.
Personal Life and Trivia
- Brzezinski married James Patrick Hoffer in 1993. He is a TV news reporter at WABC-TV. The couple have 2 daughters, Carlie and Emilie and a pet dog ‘Cajun.’ The couple divorced in 2016, the reason has not been made public.
- Mika has written 2 books. The first one titled ‘All Things at Once’ was published in 2010 and the second one ‘Knowing Your Value: Women, Money and Getting What You’re Worth’ was released in 2011.
- Brzezinski has protested against trivial journalism on air.
- She refused to report news about the release of Paris Hilton from jail in 2007 and even tried to burn the script of the story on air.
- In 2010, she opposed reporting on Lindsay Lohan and Levi Johnston.
- In 2011, she stated on air that the reaction of Sarah Palin to the speech of President Obama’s about the Tucson shooting was not newsworthy of reporting.
Mika Brzezinski- Net Worth and Salary
Mika’s annual salary is $2 million and her net worth is estimated to be $12 million.